Wednesday, March 28, 2007

INNOCENCE IS NO EXCUSE Part 8 ON THE OTHER SIDE OF SOLITUDE

After Ted was convicted he was held in a jail cell down town. He was to stay there until he was transfered to a prison somewhere in Illinois. I used to take his brother Mick to see him every Friday. We'd hang around waiting for visiting hours to roll around. It was a cold dreary place. Some times we heard similar stories from relatives of other inmates who also felt their loved ones had been wrongully convicted. Whether there were merits to their claims I do not know. After Teds ordeal I am inclined to keep an open mind about such things. The cynic in me wants to say that once in awhile they actually do put people in jail that deserve to be there. The most unfortunate observation one can make about the justice system is that it is far easier to put an innocent man in jail than it is go get him back out. There seems to be few outlets for such an contingency. Once you are behind bars they tend to consider your case open and shut, no matter how many mistakes were made or how many inconsistencies mars the final outcome. Prosecutors will vehemently denie any wrong doing in the face of contrary evidence. Thankfully if DNA evidence is available their claims are often disproven. So how much can we trust their belief in the defendants guilt ? More importantly why do they persist they are a 100 percent certain the right man has been convicted, when the most ignorant of sceptics can see the flaws.
I don't really understand how some people blatantly ignore the obvious and convinces themselves what they do are the right thing when clearly it is not. How do they sleep at night ?
By the way the opening line in this lyric is meant to be a play on words, I refer to the afterlife as Teds life as he knows it is over, and he might feel he has indeed died. I don't think he really feels that way, at least I hope not. This takes place shortly after his conviction.

I lay about in the afterlife
glaring at the walls
Where shadows form in unity
then blend into my soul
The hourglass is forever full
with filtered desert sand
The strength of which has haltered time
and left me where I stand

I harbour thoughts I re-arrange
the fate of my life I try to change

On the other side of solitude
I strive to find my peace
For one brief gleam of hope I yearn
that this pain one day will cease

I catch the sun a certain way
to drink from it's delights
The restful dark a blanket firm
that comforts me at night
I wish the rain upon my face
and winds that pierce my mind
I need to feel and touch and see
what I was forced to leave behind

Each morning claims a memory
etched into this dusty floor
And what once was will never be
the way it was before
I cannot atone for my innocence
or confess imagined guilt
Nor wipe away the agony
from my worn down broken will

No comments: