Friday, September 30, 2011

The origin of this song is from the early 80's. Originally it was a lyric about a town in the old west. The only surviving words are the three first lines in the chorus. The rest has been completely re-written. This version is about the veteran gunslinger who's seen it all, being challenged once again. I always liked the opening line in the chorus, but felt it was too short so I forced myself to come up with something to round it out. The song itself is pretty average. It was more for me to finally get this one done. Kinda sounds like something Molly Hatchet would do perhaps, lyrically.

I rode in to a dusty old town
just as the sun was going down
Stepped into the Star saloon'
At the break of the laughing moon
Asked the barkeep to fill my glass
three inches tall so my thirst would pass
Then a man 'bout five foot ten
Walked up to me, here comes trouble again

Chorus
( I said )
You better stop messin'
or I'll teach you a lesson
Blow you away with my Smith and Wesson
You better start runnin'
or I'll come a'gunnin'
and I will blow you away

I could tell he was fixin' for a fight
Young and brash gonna turn out my lights
Going for the glory, stakin' a claim
Takin' me down for fortune and fame
He locked on to my gaze daring me to draw
His fingers were keen impatience would gnaw
I was sippin' my whiskey it's fire burned hot
As I waited for junior to go for the shot

Chorus

The silence is stretchin' out the door
The patrons are all flat on the floor
Come on son time to go for your gun
You better be quick or you better run
There's sweat in his eyes, maybe a tear
Hands are shakin' showing his fear
Ain't got the guts, ain't got the stones
( but listen ) up in Boot Hill you won't be alone

No comments: