Friday, January 28, 2011

THE PECULIAR TALE OF CORAL MISTY

One sumptuous Sunday morning Coral Misty walked into my life
She proclaimed without much ado she was my long lost wife
But I had no earthly recollection of who this woman could be
As I searched the catacombs to my past to solve the mystery
Don't you remember, the night, the beach in June
You said I do indeed beneath the cloudless moon
Then we loved, immersed in waves caress
While I listened to your heart fill it's emptyness

I wish I could recall such episodes of bliss
Where lips entangle softly to erupt in a carnal kiss
Held captive by her eyes what fool would ever leave
Even in sanity's absence I'd be caught in her weave
About memories she talks such wonderous merry tales
Any man would follow Coral on her trails
The life she's lived seems both innocent and sweet
I wish I were a part of that, the tenderness complete

We have a quiet moment then she tilts her head and smiles
Pulls us close together so we can hold each other for awhile
Uncertainty confounds me might I have known her before ?
Did I once abandon her on my mind's hazy rocky shore
I bury these questions in last summers sand
As the contours of her body begins to make demands
Please forgive me for what I am about to do
This feels too right for doubt to seep through

Three weeks later Coral Misty shares my bed
I've begun to love her and that fills me with dread
What if her delusion one day suddenly clears
I'll be the stranger she once seemed to appear
I can't help, but wonder from where she came
Did she torch her past with misery's flame ?
Is there a man she is trying hard to forget ?
Did she travel here on the roads of regrets ?

Some times at night I can hear her cry
I wanted answers, but she begged me not to ask why
She'll sit by the window gazing out at the sea
Then turn around and just look longingly at me
There's so many tears in those emerald eyes
No sufficient comfort I can offer, nothing I can try
Then the shadows of her despair slowly pass and she heals
by the motion of devotion we share how we feel

One Monday morning I startle, my heart begins to race
I pick up the paper, staring back at me is her face
Beside her a man that could have been my twin
Terror digs a shallow grave as understanding's sinking in
The headline reads as follows, newlyweds lost at sea
Search has been disbanded, memorial at three
I see the future shatter into shards of crumbling dreams
I do not belong to Coral, she belongs to someone else it seems

We sailed upon a surface calm, guided by the sun
She stears with utmost certainty towards where it begun
Tiny ripples of remembrance struggles to take hold
From ancient depths memories dormant surges upwards bold
A boat looms frozen in the horizon as if anchored there by time
Bobbing gently in the water, pristine, in it's prime
She seems anxious in a hurry, her husband surely awaits
I'm the boatman, the ferrymaster, here to deliver her to fate

The knot I have untangled the mystery seems clear
Two lovers on their honeymoon drowned and disappeared
But the deck is strangely empty, no one is on board
The only sound is the creaking wood, straining for the fjords
Yet something is familiar, I have a sense of deja vu
Refusing to believe it, it simply cannot be true
I turn to Coral, she grins and nods at me
Yes, you are my husband, forever, that you'll always be

No comments: